1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Umm. I tried Paleo for a minute? It worked pretty well, but then my doctor had me try a really strict detox diet and that completely sucked my will to live, so I dropped it all and proceeded to gain back all the weight I’d lost on Paleo (15 pounds), plus more! Whoo!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t think I made any, except to lose weight, and SURPRISE! I gained weight instead. 2013 will be the year of (starting and) maintaining healthy eating and exercising (again).
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Several of my co-workers (well, mostly their wives), and lots of Internet ladies!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, and for that I am very thankful.
5. What countries did you visit?
None countries. Boo. I mean, that’s usually the case, but still.
If I’m not mistaken, the only traveling we did this year was to Montana for Matt’s family reunion. It was in a cabin. With 17 people. Including 7 children, ages 2 months to 10 years. It was a SCENE.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More ambition and energy. Better physical conditioning. A house.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Nothing really comes to mind. My birthday was tough for me this year (existential crisis, yay!).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting into the groove at my new job. I hadn’t changed jobs in about eleven years, and I had forgotten how long it takes to feel like you’ve mastered things at a new place.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Eating well, exercising, losing weight. (Sensing a theme yet?) Blogging/writing, and I really want to try harder with that, and not care who might be reading. I mean, to a point, anyway.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had some weird health troubles at the beginning of the year. Paleo, and then the detox diet, were supposed to help those issues, and I think they really did, so I’m looking forward to that aspect of trying again. I need to feel better than I do. Also, I’ve had random troubles with my feet, knees, and lower back intermittently.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our barbecue. Smashbox’s BB cream and these are runners-up.
12. Where did most of your money go?
13. What did you get really excited about?
The election results. I … think maybe I should have gotten out more and done more fun things, because I legit can’t think of anything else.
The thing I was most disappointed about was not getting to go to PJs@TJ’s.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Call Me Maybe, because of course; Bright Lights, Bigger City by Cee Lo; This Party Took a Turn for the Douche, by Garfunkel and Oates.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Mostly happier. 2012 was a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways, especially at work.
– thinner or fatter? Asked and answered, I believe.
– richer or poorer? Richer, and I’m not gonna front: this is partly because I curbed my shopping habits quite a bit. We also didn’t go to any concerts or really take any trips. Maybe that explains #13.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
All together, now: eating well, exercising, losing weight! I am even boring myself with this one. I also wish I’d kept in better touch with friends. If I don’t talk to you on IM or Twitter, I’m probably not talking to you much at all, because I suck like that. I need to change that this coming year.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Sitting on my ass, eating junk food.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
I was sick for most of the time I had off work. I started feeling gross on the 22nd, and missed most of the festivities we were supposed to attend. I had a sore throat and chest congestion, and this past Saturday night, I found myself in possession of a sweet auto-tuned-robot voice for a little while. I’m on the mend now, though.
For New Year’s Eve, we’re ordering pizza and drinking champagne. Well, I am, at least. We’ll probably watch The Avengers, which I haven’t seen yet.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
HOMELAND!!! Game of Thrones! We also watched The Wire and The Sopranos from start to finish. There was a lot of TV watching in 2012, frankly.
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Unbroken was really, really good, and the story is simply incredible. But the one that I read straight through, starting at 8 pm and finishing at 2 am, on a WEEKNIGHT? Yeah, that would be Bared to You. UH HUH, I SAID IT.
I really didn’t read enough this year, though, and I would like to change that in 2013.
21. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Probably Ellie Goulding.
22. What were your favorite movies of the year?
The only two I saw in the theater: Hunger Games, and Ted. I’ve loved a lot of 2011 movies since we recently got HBO and Showtime.
23. Did you fall in love in 2012?
Over and over!
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope, same group of fools!
25. What did you want and get?
Oh, lots of things. I said I curbed my shopping; I didn’t say I stopped entirely!
A job I love, although I actually started it last December.
26. What did you want and not get?
A trip to Hawaii.
27. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“We’re not young.” – fun.
(Edited to add: Yep, I wrote the lyric wrong. The fun. song will always remind me of 2012 (as will Some Nights), but THIS is what sums up my year.